Period: 2017-05-01 — 2017-10-31
My biggest challenge at the beginning was to understand old code because I couldn't get a hold of previous developer. Luckily I could easily get information about business needs and how they developed.
Knowing how business needs developed helped a lot, but there was huge amount of fragile code that I had to modify.
Here's what I managed to do within just 6 months:
- Migrated authorization from CanCanCan gem to Pundit gem which further increased development speed and reduced chance of unexpectedly breaking some permissions. This change also simplified authorization code auditing if required.
- Implemented billing system.
- Created integration with Quickbooks.
- Created Tripletexer rubygem integration with Tripletex.
- Convicted business to move data from Amazon EBS to S3 to cut operation costs by more than 50%.
- Implemented code that allowed migrating over 3TB of files from server to Amazon S3, without system/client interruption.
- Created foundation for API v2 which had fine gradient permissions control.
- Implemented audit log. I also figured out pretty smart way how to create order event timeline based on audit log, however I didn't implement it because I left the company.
- Adopted some trailblazer patterns (Cells, form objects, operations etc.)
- Implemented image recognition using Google Vision API.
- Improved system performance in various critical services.
- and much more
- Ruby on Rails
- SASS (SCSS)